|Project by bent||posted 04-20-2010 at 11:27 AM||2169 views||5 times favorited||12 comments|
i built this bookcase for the latest glue challenge, plus i needed it for our home.
about the material: i got the wood from a job i did for my uncle. he had bought a bunch of old barn siding to panel his office (it’s an ag supply company). he said it was 100+ years old when he bought it here in indiana, and that was 15 years ago. all the wood i used is left over from that job. so technically, it’s re-recycled. i got the glass from windows that were in an old farmhouse that i helped my dad tear down. for the fasteners, i used some dry wall screws and trim nails that were left over from the paneling job. for the hardware, i already had it in my collection of leftover/salvaged pieces. i did use some new, small cutoff red oak strips from another project for the interior where the shelf pins are inserted. they are well under the 1 bdft limit. i just didn’t trust the reclaimed wood to support the wieght once it’s filled up with books.
i hand cut all of the glass panes to fit into the door. i’ve seen before where just one sheet of glass is used in a door and the the dividers are overlaid. that’s not the case here, they’re all individual pieces. i wanted to mention that, because i came up with a useful tip while i was mounting the glass. when putting in the trim nails, i started with a small tack hammer and was being really careful not to tap the glass panes. then i realized that i could just use my channel lock pliers to squeeze the nails in. it was so alot quicker and safer to do it that way. another tip, make sure you don’t have tempered glass! apparently one of the pieces was, and i’ll be finding pieces of it around my shop long into the future.