LumberJocks

Closets, closets, and more Closets

  • Advertise with us
Project by EarlS posted 03-31-2017 10:08 PM 298 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

In early November, my wife wanted a closet shelf system with some drawers for scrap book supplies for Christmas.

I drew up a basic design, she approved it and things got moving.

The shelf units are 7’ tall, with 14X 24 adjustable shelves on either side of the drawer unit which has a 14” tall lower drawer and 4-8” tall drawers that are 18” deep x 24” wide. The shelves and vertical panels are mode from ¾” cherry plywood, the drawer boxes are dovetailed ¾” solid maple with ½” maple plywood bottoms and solid cherry fronts.

The whole project was finished with Arm-R-Seal, my go-to finish these days and sanded with 800-grit between coats.

Things were moving along smoothly on the installation when my wife decided I ought to make the same kind of closet shelf system for the master bedroom closet. No problem. I would use the same designs and this would be done in no time.

This is where things started to go off the rails…

About the same time, I bought 200 BF of 4/4 cherry, 200 BF of 5/4 and 4/4 walnut, and 200 BF of 4/4 maple. The cherry was ½ the price of cherry plywood which lead me to a most brilliant idea. Why not make all of the shelf components from solid cherry??? After all I was saving loads of cash.

I eagerly started planing boards, and planing boards, and planing more boards. 14-30 gal loads of dust later I was finally finished planing all of the boards and jointing them. On a side note, I mulched around most of the trees in our yard with cherry and maple planer chips.

Next came days and days of biscuit joints and clamping boards together to make the 7’ x 14” panels, the 7’ x 18” panels, and numerous shelves and brackets. The weeks of glue-ups were followed by days and days of sanding the panels, first with the belt sander, then with the random orbit sander.

At this point, I was all in on the project so I made drawer handles based on Darrell Peart’s G&G pulls.

Finally I was able to stain and finish everything. I had to finish the pieces in 3 groups because I didn’t have enough room to lay everything out to dry.

3 months later and they are finally installed and looking great. Nothing beats custom shelf units in the closets.

The moral of this story – sometimes more expensive is less costly. I also have a greater appreciation for plywood.

-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"





1 comment so far

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

17957 posts in 2709 days


#1 posted 04-24-2017 01:20 AM

I love ‘em. Great use of space!!

-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com