|Project by JJohnston||posted 1419 days ago||1458 views||2 times favorited||4 comments|
This is my entry for the Nothing New Except the Glue contest.
When my parents had new hickory cabinets put in their kitchen recently, two of the drawers were the wrong size and had to be rebuilt; the cabinet shop just left the wrong ones there instead of taking them back. My parents kept the hardware, and I took the wood. I’d never handled hickory before; if you haven’t used it, give it a shot. Having worked mostly with construction-grade pine and a little red oak, I was blown away by its combination of strength, hardness and elasticity. Doing the “circus strong man bend”, I could not break a strip about 3/4” by 3/8”. However, it’s hard on tools. I did more sharpening than shaping.
Picture 6 shows what I started with (pay no attention to the plastic sawhorses holding up my workbench!). There was a little twist in the wider one, and after I got it jointed and planed flat, and took the narrow one down to the same thickness, they were 0.685” x 5 1/8” x 28” and 0.685” x 7 1/2” x 28”. That’s 0.68 and 0.99896 bd ft – less than 1 each. :D
The big one has a head 4 layers wide and a handle 2 layers wide. I cut the top of the handle into a 2-degree (each side) tenon and cut the core pieces of the head with a miter saw (pic 2). I took off the corners of the handle with a bandsaw, then used a chisel, and a belt sander when my hands got tired, to shape it into the oval (pic 3). I got to the final shape by cutting a sander belt into a 3×24 strip and doing a “shoe shine” motion. To get the line on the roughed-out blank, I put it end to end with the handle of a framing hammer and traced around it.
Picture 4 shows the head fresh out of the clamps.
About the time I realized how ludicrously big the first one was going to be, I also realized I had a lot of wood left for another one. The middle one is 3 layers wide with a handle 1 layer wide. Again, I cut the handle into a 2-degree tenon and used a bandsaw and the shoe shine to shape the rest. This one went together so much faster than the big one I didn’t stop to take pictures.
Even after #2 I had enough left for a small one. It’s also made up with 3 & 1, with the head narrowed after glueup to around 2” square. I didn’t do the dovetail tenon on this one, figuring it’s for light duty tapping. Picture 5 shows the glueup. The smaller the head, the more critical the alignment. This one is clamped in all 3 axes. I left the handle mostly rectangular, just using a trim router to put a little roundover on the corners.
Finish is BLO. Thanks for looking.
-- The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken