|Project by Redoak49||posted 03-29-2017 04:41 PM||830 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
I have been wanting to build a V Drum Sander and liked the idea that Shipwright had of using a Shopsmith.
I built this one as really a trial at finding out how to do some of the things and the problems that I would run into with it. The drum is made of 3/4” plywood that were cut using a hole saw. The diameter is about 2.75” and the working length is only about 10 inches. The one end is attached to the Shopsmith with a small face plate and the other end is a live center from the lathe.
As others have done, I made the cylinder and then trued it up using some coarse sandpaper on a piece of plywood. The pivot is a 1/4” rod instead of the piano hinge that others have used. The entire assembly is just clamped onto the table of the Shopsmith.
At this point, I have just taped some old sanding belts to the drum and it works great. I have hook and loop ordered and will convert to that when I get it.
It does create a lot of dust and I added some dust collection. I took a 1.5” PVC pipe and drilled holes in it and put it behind the drum. It is hooked up to my dust collector and does a very good job.
My next step is to design a combination thickness drum sander and V-Drum sander.