|Project by Scott Smith||posted 04-18-2010 01:51 AM||2028 views||9 times favorited||2 comments|
The crib is done! (And I won the race with my wife) My family thought I was crazy when I embarked upon my first real furniture project after learning our first child was on the way. With a couple weeks to go before the due date, the finish is dry and the crib is assembled. I based this on a plan downloaded from Rockler and chose to panel the ends instead of doing slats. The whole thing was modeled in Google Sketchup to see how the ends would look with the rest of the sizing and to dimension out all the mortise and tenons (many many mortise and tenon joints!). I used Sapele plywood for the panels and Sapele for the top on both ends.
The finish was chosen to get close to a Maple changing table I picked up on Craigslist and was largely a series of experiments in finishing since I had never strayed from Minwax stain & poly. I started with one coat of amber shellac cut 50% with denatured alcohol, sanded, and then rubbed on one layer of polymerized Linseed oil. I think I went too thick on the sides (slats), so a week later I cleaned much of it off with the alcohol, resanded and used a coat of wipe-on poly. I was happy with the finish in the end. I finished up by attaching the drop-side hardware. Everything fit together snug and as planned!
This was a fun project, but a bit stressful with the firm deadline and me going back to college and working right now. It is done though and I am looking forward to the next project!
-- Scott, Toledo, OH