|Project by TheChucker||posted 1596 days ago||5974 views||29 times favorited||11 comments|
After purchasing the Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector the other day on sale @ $139, I got to work modifying it as many others have done. I bolted the motor to the wall and connected a separator underneath. I cut the two hose sections from the existing hose that came with the DC and used those for both motor connections. The hose leading to the collection bag is there just to hold the motor to the collection ring, and the other hose is about 6” in length. Enough so I can slip it off to empty the bag.
The separator is the Thein design, and it works great. To integrate the system into my planned dust collection lines, I modified the design slightly for a side inlet. It makes for a smoother transition from the separator to the eventual collection lines. I found a roof vent housing piece at Home Depot that worked great for the inlet. I wrapped it around the contour of the trash can and put in about 20 sheet metal screws. I also used about a 1/4 tube of sealant both in between the trash can and the housing, as well as all the screw holes. The outlet on the top is a 5” diameter HVAC tube from the Depot as well.
I fired it up earlier, and it really works great. Now I just need to run some lines to my tools…
-- Wherever you go, there you are.