|Project by lew||posted 04-17-2010 08:56 PM||1902 views||1 time favorited||16 comments|
Nothing New Except The Glue
Well here is my entry into this challenge. It really isn’t a difficult wood working project but it does use OLD stuff. The second photo shows the primary materials used to make the picture frame.
First the wood. It is definitely less than 1 bdft. It also has an interesting story. This is my final piece of a barn door. I have been hording it for about 15 years. The barn was built in the early 1800’s and was used as a refuge for runaway slaves traveling the underground railroad prior to the Civil War. The barn is still located on the east side of Chambersburg, PA but was converted into apartments. Our town has the dubious honor to be the only city north of the Mason Dixon line to have been burned during the Civil War- actually burned twice. Once as the Confederate Army was on the way to Gettysburg and once one the way back!
The Glass. This was salvaged from an original window- removed from a stone farm house, in Quincy, PA. My Mom said it was called poured glass. It has many imperfections and is not consistent in thickness (last picture). The house was renovated and converted into short term apartments. The house was originally built in 1797. It is also located along a route the armies traveled to and from the battle of Gettysburg.
The nails were salvaged from the same farm house, in Quincy, PA.
The glue was left over from a pen project.
Making the frame was straight forward. The only thing was that I was afraid to try and cut the glass to fit into a frame small enough to be made from the salvaged wood. The wood piece was only a little over 2 ft. long so the resulting frame would have to be quite small. To solve the problem, I re-sawed the wood. The front and back of the piece were similar in aging/weathering. When assembled the difference was noticeable but not objectionable. But, even with every usable inch of board accounted for, the glass would be too large. So, I made a wider than normal rabbet on the back of the frame to allow the glass to be used without cutting.
After all the cuts were made, the pieces were glued together. As a decorative element, the cut nails were added. The frame is barely ¼” thick, so I pre-drilled for the cut nails to avoid splitting. The overall frame is about 9” x 11” outside, with a 6” x 8” opening. I left the wood unfinished, as I couldn’t improve on what Mother Nature had done.
As for the backing, it is a page out of one of Mimi’s old photo albums- cut to fit into the frame. It is held in place by some shortened straight pins from her from her sewing box. The straight pins were salvaged from shirt packaging.
I am looking for an original Civil War photograph to mount into the frame. When I find one, I’ll re-post to show everyone how it looks.
Thanks for looking!
-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.