|Project by jeffswildwood||posted 03-20-2017 12:21 AM||1153 views||0 times favorited||18 comments|
My brother in law sent me an old knife to see if I could put a new handle on it. The handle was gone and it was in rough shape. Completely black and where the handle was, very corroded. I have never done this before so I put it on a “back burner”. Then recently I watched a few videos on knife making. While waiting for glue, stain and urethane to dry on a prior project I got it out and started playing with it. Turns out the more I did, the more I wanted to do!
First I gave it a good cleaning revealing it was a Case XX 482-5. I later read that it is a very good knife. Then I found some maple and cut two scales on my band saw. Did the drilling and sizing as I saw in the videos. Now I needed pins. I didn’t have any brass or steel to fit so I went with walnut. My thoughts were that a half inch or so long walnut dowel may not be as strong as brass but would still be strong enough and would look good too. I used a hand drill and files/sandpaper to get them close then used the holes in the handle to form to final size. It worked! perfect tight fit. Now came the sizing, lots of filing and sanding. I finished the sanding at 600 grit and used danish oil for a finish. Waxed three times. When I finished I was really happy with the results.
I have to say I just had too much fun doing this. I’m hooked now and really want to do some more knives! This is one of those projects for me that I started and lost all track of time. I ended up spending the whole day in the shop. Any knife makers have any comments or suggestions please let me know. Thanks for looking!
-- We all make mistakes, the trick is to fix it in a way thats says "I meant to do that".