|Project by PaulfromVictor||posted 04-10-2010 03:07 PM||5852 views||72 times favorited||16 comments|
This is a drum sander I finished up a couple of months ago. I would never have attempted this without the inspiration that I found on LJ’s. See my favorites to see all that inspired thiis. Stewart’s site has links for various plans. I also liked Autumn’s. Blake’s machine inspired the clear dustcover. That was a great call. It allows you to see all the action, and troubleshoot if needed.
I made a few changes of my own. Most obviously, the bed is granite. This was a piece that was cutout from my kitchen counters to intall the sink. It has been sitting in my garage for nine years waiting for a project. I mounted the granite to a piece of plywood, enclosed it with a wood frame, and filled the missing corners with stones and fiberglass resin. The bed is 20.5” wide.
All of the steel rods on this are 3/4”. The backside of the bed rests on a steel rod. I made additional holes in the frame so that I can move the rod down to accommodate thicker items if needed. I am not sure if I will ever lower the table, but just put it there as an option. I like the idea of being able to make a sled to pass items through. In theory, the lower holes will still keep the table parallel to the drum, but that has yet to be determined.
The motor is 2hp, spins at 3450 rpm. I used a 2:1 pulley ratio to cut the drum speed in half.
The drum is 5” diameter and wrapped in velcro to attach the felt backed sandpaper.
Already I am hooked on this machine. I don’t know how I got by without it.