|Project by Mark Wilson||posted 03-17-2017 10:25 PM||489 views||0 times favorited||26 comments|
It’s the 17th of March, and this is the first piece I’ve finished, and signed, with a ”’17” on it.
Buckle up for another trip through Wilson’s head.
The victim. Jacaranda.
Rounded up and finding cracks
Going to the aluminum rod again, trying to be clever about filling said crack (one would get turned away, so I focused only on the deeper one).
I polished it up and thought, You’re pretty. And, pretty cool with that thing in there.
Then, I went inside, with the piece supported at the tailstock, at first, to get the lip to where I wanted it. It got pretty thin, and the “filler” needed to be shored up better with some CA. It was holding, and I was confident. I backed off from the tailstock and mounted my home made steadyrest for the first time, ever.
The report on the steadyrest is that it works okay. The report on using a round bar is that, no matter what one does, the edges of the bar (wherein lies the contact with the wood – though tapped into an undersized trench – are still round) wasn’t as secure as it appears. It became unstable as I was turning/sanding away the CA.
So, I took the saw to the spot right at the end of the “filler,” and made the piece shorter, and went back to trying to figure out what the Thing is. “It was a wine goblet. It still can be, I suppose.” Then, I started putting something like lines around it (the inside is still solid, at the point), and I began to see something like a Parfait Tureen (how many times have you seen those words in LJs? Me? Not once.)
Now. Does a “Tureen” have a thin stem, like a wine goblet?
I’m still not certain which it is.
It sat in the check for two or three days, while I pondered my options. This is what it looked like, during that time. Ready for the cutoff, but, uncertain.
Last night, I removed it from the lathe, still on the chuck, and took it in the house, and consulted with the O.G. (Old Goat. His name’s Dad.) He said it looked real good to him, as it is. I took his word for it. I mounted it back up today and blew a few coats of lacquer on it, using the Handful-Of-Shavings method between coats. I cut it off, warmed up the iron, signed it, finished the bottom, and declared it a Parfait Tureen, the title of this Post notwithstanding.
The other half of the Jacaranda log is mounted up, now.
But, that’s for Future Mark. I have other things to do right now.
Thank you. And, I apologize.