|Project by TJ65||posted 04-10-2010 03:41 AM||1797 views||2 times favorited||18 comments|
This box took a little longer than I thought it would
1- at the time of choosing and cutting the project I didn’t realise that it has several tight areas and the sanding of them took forever.
2- When I chose to cut out the shapes for the coloured pieces they left drill hole/marks that I didn’t really want to see (this is not an inlay project). So because of that I decided to change the pattern a bit and add the round pieces to cover it up, afterall it is a butterfly!
3- finding suitable sanding equipment that I didn’t have.
However I did learn a lot along the way, small power sanders are great!!!! (that is when I finally realised they could do such a thing!) Also I made up a jig for my spindle sander out of a piece of hose to attatch to the spindle itself so that small sheets of sand paper that do the finer sanding -180+ can be attatched to it. That turned out better than I thought it would too.
It is coated with a sealer first, then a couple of coats of danish oil then on the lid and sides just a light coating of wax.
Overall I am really very pleased with the out come of the box, as I really didn’t think that it would end up as good as it has. The separation shelf thing was an after thought. But I liked it. If I dont want to use it I can easily take it out.
Hope you like it to
-- Theresa, https://sites.google.com/site/tmj65treasure/