LumberJocks

Playroom built-in's

  • Advertise with us
Project by DalyArcher posted 03-16-2017 06:21 PM 263 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

We bought the house 5 years ago and the basement never got much love. With baby number two coming (due St. Pats day) my wife wanted the basement cleaned up to allow our 4 year old the opportunity to play and watch a movie out of the way. Plus it allows a place to send the kids to when we host dinner parties with friends rather than tripping over 8 kids in our living room.

Ripped off the brick overlay on the fireplace and the previous “built-ins” and set to work designing and crafting something more functional. I won the war on tile, wife wanted some fancy glass stuff at $20.00 a sf. I talked her into subway tile at a little over $1.00 a sf.

Built the mantle out of 3/4” mdf, really should have used 1/2”, I forgot how heavy that stuff is and the local home hardware has never heard of the ultra-lite stuff. Built out the wall above the fireplace and ran some wiring and mounted the flat screen. Ripped out the old wall sconces and installed the base cabinets. 5/8” melamine, pine face frames, pine cope and sick doors with 1/4” mdf panels.

My wife, for whatever reason, likes the Ikea style bookcases, so I built the upper shelves with this in mind. 5/8” melamine with 1/4” face frame and shelf nosing. Centre shelf is fixed. The adjustable dado jig I built for my router works great!

Columns and front of the hearth are poplar (ran out of pine) using the same stick and cope as the doors. In hindsight, I would have built everything using poplar, works much nicer than the pine. This is the only project I have built with a mind to paint it. A coat of primer and a two or three coats of a melamine paint. I picked up some Flotrol additive and brushed it on and was surprisingly pleased with the result. The Flotrol really allowed the brush strokes to even out and the paint to settle smoothly.





4 comments so far

View tyvekboy's profile

tyvekboy

1477 posts in 2585 days


#1 posted 03-16-2017 08:23 PM

Nice conversion.

-- Tyvekboy -- Marietta, GA ………….. one can never be too organized

View JCamp's profile

JCamp

188 posts in 122 days


#2 posted 03-17-2017 12:54 AM

Looks greats. It always amazes me how much work really goes into a project lik that. Also I always WAY under estimate the amount of time it take. Glad u got it done prior to the new baby arriving. Also the recurve look great hanging in the wall

-- Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

24771 posts in 2438 days


#3 posted 03-17-2017 02:44 PM

You have done a fine job on all of this cabinet work. Congratulations. It will be a very nice game room.

helluvawreck aka Charles
http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

-- If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. Henry David Thoreau

View pottz's profile

pottz

1308 posts in 556 days


#4 posted 03-17-2017 09:20 PM

nice improvement, the before should have been the never!great job.

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com