|Project by HankLP||posted 03-15-2017 03:04 AM||1359 views||5 times favorited||5 comments|
I’ve been using the HF dust collector for a few years now and made some recent improvement adding a stage 1 separator (see my previous project) and a Wynn filter. But there are still TWO things about the set-up that bothered me. One is the turbulence in the lower bag of the DC that keeps stuff whirling around and kicks a lot of it up into the filter where it stays. The other is that the filter sits on top of the DC and is attached underneath, which means the lower bag cannot be removed without a lot of dust falling out of the filter, making a mess and complicating a simple job of emptying the lower bag. Those who have this system will understand this situation.
I tackled both these problems by adding a Thein type baffle on the lower part of the “collector” (i.e. the green section between the filter and lower bag) and a collar on the upper part. I cut the baffle to fit inside the collector, and simply attached it with three screws which went through the sheet metal. The collar has a rabbeted outer edge to nest in the top of the collector, and an inner rabbeted edge that the dust collector sits in. Foam weather-stripping was used to seal the outer edge. The inner edge is sealed by the gasket that comes attached to the filter. I used some angel brackets that came from somewhere – never throw away any hardware ever – to hold down the collar to the collector, and made some plywood clips to cinch down the filter to the collar.
I’m pleased with the results. The product in the bag stays there and doesn’t blow around, and loosening four screws makes removal of the filter much easier than trying to disconnect the attachment underneath the collector. The next phase is to complete the outdoor shed where the dust collector assembly will have a permanent home… just waiting for some nice weather in the Northwest.