|Project by Robert Keeney||posted 03-12-2017 12:59 PM||1923 views||3 times favorited||11 comments|
This is the first set of these toy cars I made for ny grandson. There are a lot of firsts here. The first project I ever made from MDF and the first time I ever used acrylic craft paint on a toy. It was also my first painted toy.
I got the MDF almost for free and wanted to see how well it would work for toys. Painting it was a pain. It soaks up paint like a sponge. However, you can get a nice finish on it. There is a base coat of primer which turned out to be a bad idea. The primer I used really wasn’t sandable. It was a bit of a mess. These are hamd painted with a brush.
The Bucket T has a hole in it for a peg person. This is the only one of these I have made so far that has this. Drilling the hole is easy enough but sanding and painting in the hole is quite difficult. If I ever make these with the hole in the future I think I’ll drill the hole after painting and leave the inside unfinished.
The bodies were cut in two pieces on a scroll saw, glued together, and sanded to match using a Shopsmith belt sander, Ridgid spindle sander, and Delta strip sander. There was also a lot of hand sanding.
-- Robert in Tallahassee Florida, http://OdinsToyFactory.com