|Project by janice||posted 04-06-2010 02:10 AM||2379 views||1 time favorited||44 comments|
This thing has been a pain in my butt since day 1. I know some of you know that too. First I built the sides and they cupped to much in the center. So after getting good advise from this site, I did them over and they still cupped alittle, but not as bad. I wanted to build this thing with no screws, just dowels and biscuits. I since have learned that I need new clamps. They’re called deep throat clamps. Without those I couldnt draw the sides in close enough to the shelves when I was assembling this with glue. Dry fit, it was perfect. So I then built a frame for each shelf mounted underneath and used screws. Didn’t work either. Guess the glue was already drying. So then I drilled a hole in one side and screwed it in from the outside. That didn’t work either. Now the hole has a plug in it that really isn’t noticable, but I know it’s there. So my two long shelves have a tiny 1/16” gap in the center of the shelves that nobody is gonna see, but I know it’s there. It’s not gonna fall apart with screws and dowels, but it made me so mad I wanted to burn it and start all over. And no I really don’t have a bad temper. Then for some stupid reason, I made the top too short. So I cut it down shorter and ran a board long ways on both ends. And then it still turned out to short if I wanted to put crown molding on it. By this time I hated it. It wasnt turning out like I had in mind at all. This is what happens when you start something without a plan. I really wasnt sure what I wanted it to look like. I just knew I wanted it to look good for a cabin. Anyway, with all the good advise on this site I did learn how to make the raised panel doors on the table saw. Thank you everyone for that. I also did get a new Orbital sander for this project. Never had one before now and I love it! Thanks Jim! Now I need more clamps if I’m gonna build anything this wide again. Thanks for looking.