|Project by Mark A. DeCou||posted 10-15-2007 10:14 PM||4884 views||3 times favorited||22 comments|
Thanks for looking.
This project has been “sold”, but if you would like something similar, please email me:
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
This is a commissioned project for a past client. They needed a laptop computer desk to sit off the side of the kitchen, and wanted it to match the existing Birch Cabinets built in the early 1960’s. They also wanted a carved panel on the front with my own original artwork design, inspired by the work of Kansas artist, the late-Birger Sandzen.
What I designed was a tilt front desk to provide both a work surface, and hidden storage, with open cookbook storage below. On top of the desk, will sit another bookcase to hold Cookbooks.
The artwork I drew and carved is of a Kansas Flinthill’s Prairie homestead scene that I titled “Stone House on the Prairie.”
I also built the hammered copper finger pull handle myself, as working in copper is something I enjoy doing as well.
The carving has been airbrushed with tinted lacquer to add depth, shadows, and to form the styling of a late-Birger Sandzen styled woodcut print.
If you would like to see the building process for this project, please visit my blogs, where I detailed the various parts of the project.
- Building the Project
- Carving the Panel
- Airbrushing the Carving
- Making the Copper Hardware
- Designing and Building the Matching Chair
- Desk, Chair, and Shelving Installed
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
Want to See More of my Furniture Work?:
If you go to my Mark DeCou Website you will find that I have not updated my website in quite some time. I realize that I need to invest in improving my website, but until that is accomplished, here are some more Lumberjocks related lilnks with updated postings of my furniture work, sorted into categories. Thanks for your interest in my work, and your patience with my website.
- Arts & Crafts Entry Table; with Carved Oak Leaves
- Arts & Crafts Orchid Stand w/ Wine Bottle Storage
- Arts & Crafts Style Morris Inspired Chairs
- Arts & Crafts Display Top Coffee Table
- Arts & Crafts Style Inspired End Table Set
- Arts & Crafts Style Inspired Prairie Couch
- Table Lamps
- Arts & Crafts Carved Entertainment Center
- Mission Entertainment Center
- Carved Communion Table
- Carved Roll Top Sound Equipment Cabinet
- Fancy Church Side Altars
- Processional Cross
- Fancy Speaker's Lectern
- Church Hymn Number Board
- Communion Chalice (Cup) and Paten
- Sam Maloof Inspired Walnut Rocker
- Original Art Carved Tilt Front Desk, inspired by Birger Sandzen
- Natural Edge; Nakashima Inspired Coffee Table
- Decoratively Painted Box End Tables
- Birch China Cabinet for Cut Glass Collection
- Naughty (Knotty) Refined Rustic White Oak & Black Walnut China Hutch
- A Kansa Indian and Buffalo Accent Art-Chair
- Refined Rustic Dining Chairs
- Refined Rustic Dining Table
- Cowboy-Western Style Suitcase/Luggage Support Racks
- Fun With Cedar Logs #1; Sitting Stool
- Fun With Cedar Logs #2; Coat/Hat/Spur Rack
- Fun With Cedar Logs #3; Western Style Hat/Coat Rack
- Fun With Cedar Logs #4; Entryway Stool
- Kennebunkport Style Adirondack Chair
- Outdoor Garden Wedding Arbor
- Outdoor Project: Cedar Wood Double Settee
These photos, project design, original artwork, and sketches are protected by copyright by M.A. DeCou 10-15-2007, all rights reserved. Please inquire into the use of this material, I might surprise you and say, “Yes.”
-- Mark DeCou - American Contemporary Craft Artisan - www.decoustudio.com