|Project by BenDupre||posted 03-08-2017 01:30 AM||780 views||7 times favorited||12 comments|
So something for the wife’s birthday. She has started collecting these essential oils. She is hoarding them like I hoard tools. She asked me a while back if I could make her a shelf to store them. I threw out a few choices of wood that I had in the pile and she picked Cherry.
As I though about the best way to produce these repetitive shelves I decided to make hardboard templates to guide the drilling and the shaping.
The joinery is simple dado in the rails
The 13 inch radius curve dies into the rail terminating on the outside end.
The most accurate way I could think of to reproduce this was to use my dado set to notch out the shelves. I gang cut them. I was a little scared to take this much wood away in one bite but I fed slowly and all went just fine.
Drilling was simple with the template taped on. I just set the depth stop on the drill press and slowly lowered the fostner bit until it “found” the hole in the template, then ploughed it out. The bits I have are pretty sharp and they are serrated but I still got some burning in the cherry and the final holes were a little rough. I don’t know of any way to clean up these holes, and there were a million of them…
Cut as close as possible on the bandsaw… leave the line!
Double-stick the template on and route using a pattern bit. My table does not have a start pin so this was a little scarry but I started in an area under the ear of the shelf where there was no material to cut. This worked okay, but now I want some spiral downcut pattern bits. I got a little burning on the cuts but it sanded off. If you notice my shetchup design and patterns for the rails included a compound curve, but the final piece has a simple radius. This is because I had a total disaster trying to pattern route the end grain. It got violent and now I am afraid to try routing end grain cherry like this again. Thanks to Lumberjocks forum, I got some good tips for next time. You can read them here.
Glue-up was straight forward. I couldn’t figure out how to clamp down the ears on the shelves, but they stuck in there just fine without clamping.
For finish I used some clear Watco Danish Oil. Then I sprayed on three coats of satin lacquer, steel wool in between. Finally I rubbed the whole thing down with Minwax.
Thanks for looking. Let me know what you all think!
-- The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred. – George Bernard Shaw