|Project by Boghog||posted 03-07-2017 10:57 PM||1003 views||5 times favorited||9 comments|
For this project, my inspiration came from another lumberjock project I saw in passing, but I have not been able to find again. I have some delicate incra rules that will become ruined if I did not fix the situation regarding about how I store them in my garage…
Therefore, after I saw the project on lumberjocks, I went to Sketchup and drew up a rough plan on what I wanted to do.
From a construction perspective, I wanted to keep it simple. 1×2 furring strips, ½” plywood, and 5/8” dowel rods are the materials…
I cut the plywood to size, cut the furring strips and then beveled on the table saw to make faux trim pieces. I used my new Rockler miter gauge sled, which improved the accuracy of my miter angles, but did not protect me from sneaking up on the length of my trim pieces…. sigh oh well… live and learn.
Then I started cutting the dowel rod to approximately ¾-inch lengths. Which worked for almost each piece… some thicker items called for longer dowel pieces.
I then used a combination of a rasp and a pull saw to make tool slots in each dowel peg that was going to be tied to a tool. I hand sanded the dowels and then
I sanded down the plywood and the trim pieces with random orbital sander. I sanded each dowel piece by hand with a piece of 220-grit glued to some scrap plywood. I went ahead and stained the dowels and the trip with Miniwax Puritan Pride (218) for the accents. I left the backs of these pieces, which will mate to the plywood, as free of stain as possible. I taped off the plywood (where the trim was going) and stained it Red Mahogany (225) for the primary base color.
Then, I did my glue up, starting with the trim first. After trim was installed, I glued on the dowels. Finally, I finished with clear spray polyurethane, 3 coats with light sanding in between.
Project is mounted to wall via French cleats.
-- Justin Young, Indiana