|Project by Porchfish||posted 03-06-2017 02:30 PM||601 views||0 times favorited||10 comments|
This Cherry vessel was turned from a root section of a large (30” dia. at 3’ ht) tree that I downed for a neighbor 9 months ago. It remained at around 22% moisture content, but so many cracks had formed in spite of triple sealing…. I decided to see what I could do with it. This is 1/4 of the block, so I still have 3 more pieces to come. The root section was highly convoluted and if you’ll note the bark sections left on are INSIDE the vessel. That made it VERY interesting turning. I used a lot of thin CA glue to penetrate deep into the convolutions, thinking (ha ha) that it would help stabilize it during turning. Of Course, with root sections there was a LOT of sand and soil that was invisible and packed inside the convolutions. The CA turned that mess into neat cement-like masses hidden away and undiscovered while turning the outside of the vessel. Talk about dulling tools…sheesh… I’m not so enamored with turning root sections anymore. This fella started out as a 7.5” x 9.5” block….A lot was lost off the bottom due to dirt /cement which me super Nova 2 chuck did NOT like. So I ended up with a very flawed 6.5” x 8” (mol) Vessel . I filled some cracks with small chunks of Turquoise and highlighted others with mashed up turquoise pieces. I had fun with the piece after a lot of sweaty turning It has been finished (so far ) with 4 coats of Watco Danish oil. I may use my Beal system on it to give it a real glossy finish….haven’t decided yet.
-- The pig caught under the fence is always the one doing all the squealing !