|Project by Anthony||posted 02-28-2017 03:36 AM||750 views||1 time favorited||8 comments|
This is a project I have been wanting to do for sometime. Many years ago I bought a Steinberger Spirit 5 String bass but found the body to be very uncomfortable. It spent most of it’s life in a case until I finally pulled it out and decided to build a new body, using the original neck and hardware. I went out to the shop with no real idea in mind and pulled out some craft paper, a French curve set and some straight edges and came up with the design you see.
The body is make of Alder with Purpleheart and Maple top. I made a MDF template of the body shape and after rough cutting it at the bandsaw a pattern cutting bit on the router table finished it to match my design, I also used templates to rout for the pickups, control cavity, bridge inset and neck pocket. Lots of routing…LOL. The finish was sprayed on, a new process for me. I purchased the Rockler HVLP spray system just for this and used General finish high performance water based clear. After sanding to 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper I progressed through 4000-12,000 grit micromesh pads to achieve the finish you see on the final bass. This was a new process for me and I am very happy with the results
I am happy to say that it sounds awesome and I look forward to using it in my band.
Thanks for taking a look.
-- Anthony - "The blacksmith and the artist, reflect it in their art. They forge their creativity, closer to the heart"