|Project by quasarwutwut||posted 02-27-2017 05:24 PM||771 views||3 times favorited||6 comments|
My kids are way into LEGO, and over the years we have amassed an embarrassingly large collection. In an early attempt to organize we went out and got two plastic towers of six bins each (attached photo), and those helped for a bit. As time went on we picked up two More of those towers, which are no longer made by LEGO and I could only find at a Container Store or something for too much money. Bought them anyway because they matched the other two previous ones and I’m a sucker. The problem is the bins are well-made but the white plastic towers really aren’t, so I decided to class the joint up a bit and combine the four columns of plastic into a wooden cabinet that has three columns of eight bins (24 total).
I used 3/4” and 1/2” ply with a poplar trim (stained), and this was my first attempt at building something with little to no hardware (i.e. all glue). I almost succeeded but chickened out with the top and screwed it in to the panel below. My challenge was that my table saw doesn’t accept a dado stack and my router table’s fence has a small range so I had to free-hand the dadoes with a router. I made a modified jig based on a video Nick Ferry did and that helped me keep them evenly spaced and straight (there were a lot!). I put a couple coats of water-based poly on the whole thing but got real lazy and decided not to do the shelf interiors. Overall real happy with how it turned out and am looking forward to years of asking the kids why their bricks are all over the floor instead of in the nice cabinet right next to them.
-- Jordan, Chicago, not allowed near saws or goats. Or goats with saws.