|Project by Ecocandle||posted 1343 days ago||2272 views||4 times favorited||18 comments|
Several people have suggested that I should put my router table project in the project section. It took me a long time to build it, but the finished project makes me happy. I used several great suggestions from LJs, including, but not limited to, using a piano hinge to connect the table to the legs. I didn’t even know what a piano hinge was, as my piano is electric and hingless.
There have also been a few people who were curious about how the dust collection works. I plan on blogging about it tomorrow, with pictures, but I will describe it here too, as I am sure many of you don’t read my blog.
The fence is two pieces of 4/4 wood, one of hard maple and one of oak, which sandwich around two pieces of 6/4 hard maple. This creates the gap in the center. The wood fence is then connected to a couple of Rockler multi tracks. Once I had the fence figured out I started putting the little grey cells to work trying to come up with a way to connect my rather weak little shop vac to the fence.
I wanted to create a piece that could be slid into the gap, from the top, and be interchanged with another vac connector, should I ever get the Festool shop vac I have my eye on. So requirement one was to make it a connectable piece.
I did this by taking a piece of rectangular hard maple and chiseling out a shallow mortise the same size as the gap. I then drilled a 1 inch hole in the center of the wood, all the way through. Into this mortise I glued two triangular pieces. The triangle was a right angle and close to a 3:4:5 in ratio, just to give you a mental picture. I glued them with the 3 unit side into the mortise, so the diagonal of both triangles focused upwards. My theory is that I would be reducing the area in the gap and thus improve sucking force.
Once the two triangular pieces dried, I tried out the fit. I should mention that the triangular pieces were cut from the same 6/4 wood that made up the pieces forming the gap, so the fit was perfect. The scraps were actually left over from when I built Teri and Tracy, the saw horses, for those who follow the blog. But I digress.
Now that I had the connector portion figured out, I needed to be able to connect the hose. I didn’t want the hose to go straight down, as that would look dumb. I wanted it to enter at 90 degrees from the back of the fence. My first idea was to create a box, which I did, with hand cut dovetails. My dovetails, which were only my 4th and 5th attempts, were ok, but when I placed the box in position, I realized that it just didn’t look sexy enough for my router table fence.
So I decided to get out my french curve and design a more pleasing shape. I came up with the curve and then rough cut the 4 pieces with my jigsaw, Marey. Marey did a really nice job, but the pieces needed to be sanded until they looked like one. I did this with my 3” belt sander, 50 grit belt, and when I got the shape I wanted, ran through the 80 and 120 grits as well. All 4 pieces were clamped into my vice for the sanding.
The next step was to drill a 1 1/4 inch hole in the center of three of the pieces. The 4th piece I cut a light bulb shaped mortise in the fourth piece, the one that faces the front. The idea is that the hose fits snugly into the first three, and the gap in the 4th allows the dust to be sucked up.
Once I got the 4 pieces shaped and the opening created I glued it up. It turned out pretty good, so I then glued the curved connector piece to the other piece with the triangles and it was done. I immediately threw some dust under the opening and sure enough, it sucked it up.
So that is how I built the connector.
Thanks for all the help in figuring out how to build this table. I learned a bunch.
-- Brian Meeks, http://extremelyaverage.com