Plant Stand

  • Advertise with us
Project by brianl posted 03-31-2010 07:40 PM 2071 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I just completed work on a germination stand for my better half’s birthday. It is based on a stand I saw over at Indoor Gardening Supplies. Their design didn’t really suit my needs, so I re-imagined it to have multiple growing bays and an adjustable light. Each of the “growing bays” has a removable cover that slides into a slot underneath the bottom skirt for storage. This way if we want to put full sized plants onto the bottom shelf we can. There is a timer that allows her to control how often the plant light comes on.

It is 30” high, 30” wide, and 11” deep. Everything is Red Oak from a big-box. There are levelers on all four legs. The bottom shelf was assembled using pocket screws and then I routed out the area for the trays using a rabbeting bit. The trays were simple glue-ups, I used a silver dollar, a jigsaw and some sandpaper to make the rounded edges.

There is virtually no joinery here. I used corner brackets from Rockler to secure the legs to the aprons. The tops of the shelves are secured to the aprons using pocket screws.

This was my first decently sized furniture project so I really focused on the finish. There was a lot of trial and error involved (as was evidenced in this forum posting). In the end I used Olympic’s Dark Mocha oil-based stain and Minwax satin polyurethane to topcoat. After staining I used a 1/2 lb cut of clear shellac to seal the stain and prevent the stain from lifting. The last two coats of polyurethane were hand-rubbed. After finishing I polished everything with Minwax finishing wax.

I used steel wool between layers of poly but wasn’t pleased with the smoothness on the top. So, on the last three layers of hand-rubbed poly I wet sanded with 400 automotive sandpaper. I can definitely tell the difference.

Lessons Learned
1. I learned a TON about finishing for this project. I really had no clue when I began.
2. I’m slowly getting faster when it comes to cutting and assembling. The finishing on this project took 80% of the time.

-- Brian - Belmont, Massachusetts

5 comments so far

View botanist's profile


167 posts in 3561 days

#1 posted 03-31-2010 07:58 PM

Very nice! I’m sure my wife will want me to make one of these sometime soon…

View woodworm's profile


14468 posts in 3613 days

#2 posted 04-01-2010 02:31 AM

Very beautifully made plant stand.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View Jonathan's profile


2608 posts in 3073 days

#3 posted 04-01-2010 04:13 PM

What a great little stand!

I’m sure it will get lots of good use too.

I like the optional bottom inserts that increase the usefulness and adaptability of this piece.

-- Jonathan, Denver, CO "Constructive criticism is welcome and valued as it gives me new perspectives and helps me to advance as a woodworker."

View Waldschrat's profile


505 posts in 3458 days

#4 posted 04-09-2010 02:50 PM

Thats a great idea… I mean, in the winter perhaps even better… one could have fresh herbs and not even have them in the way because they are on the bottom!

This is a very clever solution… respect! I hope you do not mind if I borrow your idea, I will put this on my list of things to build for fall.

-- Nicholas, Cabinet/Furniture Maker, Blue Hill, Maine

View Dennisgrosen's profile


10880 posts in 3138 days

#5 posted 04-12-2010 08:18 PM

yes this is a clever idea to be build and have isolationcover
if you use it in the greenhouse during winthertime
well done


Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics