|Project by FenceJumper09||posted 02-23-2017 02:20 PM||726 views||7 times favorited||12 comments|
After building the contemporary bed, the next step was to complete the nightstands!
Continue reading if you are interested in the process I used.
The nightstands started off with a trip to a local sawmill I found on Craigslist to pick up some walnut for the main assembly and some white oak for the drawers. I purchased most of the usable walnut they had and they were very accommodating!
I am currently a member of the Alabama Woodworkers Guild so I packed up the lumber and headed to the guild to “rough” mill the lumber down as it was pretty obvious it was still moving a bit. I then started cutting the lumber down into rough dimensions for the parts I needed. After a couple of weeks acclimating in the shop, I headed back down to the guild to get the lumber to its finished dimensions!
The first stage of the process was the glue ups for the main boxes and the legs. After they were dried, I cut the bevel on the front face and cut the 45 degree miter on the table saw. This process was a little nerve racking with my right-tilt saw but it ended up working fine.
I then used the taped miter process found in many threads on this website to put the boxes together and it worked great and was so much easier than the other options.
I then built the leg assemblies and started work on the drawers.
I decided to use the NK Drawer technique and it was a breeze once I read a couple articles and browsed hundreds of pictures! I dovetailed the runners into the sides of the boxes and only glued them at the front to allow for wood movement. I used white oak for the runners and hard maple for the slides, both waxed with paste wax. These slides are so smooth! I had some extra walnut veneer laying around from my table build so I used that to class up the drawer bottoms a bit.
For the drawer boxes I wanted to avoid doing a false front so I decided to try a half-blind offset dovetail (??name) I needed the offset to account for the way the NK slides work. I used my Rockler dovetail jig as I do not have the patience or skills to hand cut dovetails. The jig took some time to setup as this is not one of the typical dovetails in the manual. After some trial and error I got the fit I was going for. For the finish of the white oak I wanted to darken the wood without using a stain. After reading some threads on fuming, I decided to give it a try! I built a little tent out of a saw horse and a tarp in the carport. I had some ammonia from Lowe’s so I filled some saucers and let the white oak sit for 48 hrs replacing the ammonia after 24 hours. The final product turned out great and I look forward to using this process again.
The final, and most time consuming, step was the finishing. I was trying to match the bed I built so the steps were BLO, grain fill, wipe on satin poly. I tried the Aquacoat clear grain filler and did not get very good result. I think I should have started with it and then the BLO. After many many coats of finish and sanding I am very satisfied with the smoothness and sheen achieved.
Thanks for taking the time to check this out!
-- David, Center of Alabama, Clemson Tiger in Hostile Territory!