|Project by Andy||posted 03-29-2010 07:25 AM||8429 views||54 times favorited||86 comments|
This box has the wildest shaping so far, blending the top with the sides and each side with the next. At least to some degree, yet still trying to maintain a free form feel. A set design laid out in exact increments would still be difficult, but easier. My goal was to shape the top into a mountain range but not be too obvious about it, but it didn’t work for me, so I kept shaping and the layers of cocobolo led me to this design. It just kept looking like desert hills, sand dunes, so I went with that. Obviously, its very similar to Dunes, but more extreme.
Below are some pictures to show the oops and the fix. A simple jig screwed to the bench, the box also screwed to the bench and a template set on the level jig allowing me to route out the old mortise and cut a pocket for the new handle. I temporarily attached the new blank to the body with a little CA and then set about shaping it to mate up with the already shaped lid. After the new handle blended in pretty well, I tapped it loose so I could ease the edges of both the handle and the lid…there was no way they were ever going to join up together perfectly, so accenting their mating edges with a small radius looks nicer. Then I applied a heavier bead of gel CA and sprayed the activator for a final glue up. It should hold up fine unless it gets a hard direct hit.
The handle started out quite different, but I got carried away and ground too much wood away and ruined it. So I mulled that over for a day or two, trying to come up with a viable fix. The body and lid were pretty much done with shaping so I didnt have a flat, level surface to work from. Also the bottom of the handle was shaped and the recessed opening in the body was shaped the same to recieve it, they nestled together nicely.
The tray is something new for me. I played with several designs and some will show up on future boxes but they just didnt fit this box. This is a piece of spalted big leaf maple that I cut to fit the interior exactly. I then drew out the “trays” and cut them out on the bandsaw, then glued the saw kerfs shut. I used a dremel for sanding out the inside edges until it burned up, then went to using small sanding sleeves on the drill press, then lots of hand sanding.
I like how it contrasts with the dark exterior, yet I feel it ties in because of the shaping, and the spalting has such a naturalness about it.
But…I do have mixed feelings about it.
Wenge box, Cocobolo lid with Wenge edge grain as a border, and Bloodwood accent stripes and handle, various woods both solid and laminated were used for splines. I like how the shaping changes their design from something pretty formal into something new and abstract. Very cool!
Finish is…..guess! Thats right, Deft spray lacquer in satin sheen. It doesnt darken the bloodwood like oils, thats one reason I use it for many, but not all of my boxes, etc…
Thanks for looking,
-- If I can do it, so can you. www.artboxesbyandy.com