|Project by swirlsandburls||posted 03-26-2010 02:05 AM||1223 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
This chunk of white-oak burl was wet and wax covered when I got it, and I was especially concerned about cracking. I used an alcohol bath after roughing, and it went reasonably well, considering where the piece started. It was dry in about 2 weeks and had warped very little. The piece was very challenging as a result of bark inclusions and oak is hard as all get-out when burled like this. But it is a real favorite. To finish the bottom, I made a Jam chuck and held the bowl in place with the tailstock. Since the piece is about 11” in diameter, getting the jam chuck just right was interesting. I got it on the first try, however, and the rest is history. I finished it with my own mix of tung-oil wiping varnish, then used the Beall buff system for the polishing. There is some very pretty color, especially around the inclusions. Wondering if I should put it in the gallery for sale, or just keep it!
-- patience is a virtue ... in woodworking, cooking, and life in general