|Project by MasterSergeant||posted 02-14-2017 04:01 PM||427 views||5 times favorited||8 comments|
I just completed our mission style queen size bed. I used all solid oak in the project, finding out early on that I have a pretty sever allergy to oak! I dawned appropriate protective gear and plunged on.
I an new at mortise and tenon joinery, this being one of my first attempts. I think I have watched all of Norm Abrams shows building furniture so I had a good visual grasp of the process. While in the Army I purchased a lof of my woodworking machinery the mortiser was one I already had on hand. After a few test and adjustments I was completely successful and cutting the mortises. The tenons gave me a little more trouble but I soon worked through those.
Glue us was a new adventure. I normally make small toys and projects, this is my first big glue up. Again good ol’Norm came to my rescue and I was again triumphant and all went well on the glue ups.
I use a gel stain/finish I bought at our local “Woodsmith Store”. I really do not care for the MinWax line so I shy away from those products.
I think I was successful and I love how our new bed looks. Next two mission style night stands.
Thanks for the comments let me know what you think.
I posted more pictures on Flickr.com if anyone wants a closer look of the processes.
-- Kelly, woodworker under construction