|Project by WoodshopJoe||posted 03-24-2010 04:47 AM||2702 views||7 times favorited||15 comments|
This was a test box that I thought would be fun to try, since making 4 flawless miter joints on a square box to fit to perfection I decided to try 8 miter joints to make an octagon. These joints turned out OK but I learned what I needed to. I also decided to try out making an inlay in the front of the box. The first attempt failed, so I made a larger template and went at it again with success. The inlay fit in perfectly. Also since I still wanted to include splines I decided to route in long splines with a dovetail bit which turned out pretty well and added some great contrast.
The wood here is red oak, Brazilian cherry and walnut. I love how the oak worked in since I generally try to stay away from it. But after the oak is shaped it really has some cool lines and the grain really is accentuated. The lid function I’m not too fond of so I have to work on that yet. I want to find a concealed way to lock it down so you don’t see any mechanism. I am thinking of using some type of magnet latch but haven’t gotten around to working out the details of it yet. I had a bit of trouble with the lacquer on this box. The first time I sprayed it the lacquer never leveled out and it was really rough. So today I sanded the entire thing again down to raw wood and started over. I thinned the lacquer a bit and it helped but it’s still not to the quality I desire. I think I need a better HVLP gun. I have sprayed many projects with this gun using the same lacquer from the same can with no problems but this on just wouldn’t lay down very well. Maybe I should have filled the pores, I don’t know.
Thanks for looking!!
-- Joe Truehart - The Craftsmans Woodshop