|Project by HokieKen||posted 02-13-2017 05:17 PM||2432 views||7 times favorited||21 comments|
This tool was my contribution to the Surprise Toolswap we’re just wrapping up. We had a great time in the swap and hope to see even more LJs in future ones! LJ Ripthorn is who I was assigned to ship my tool to. I hope he gets good use out of it!
This tool was a result of just “winging it” on the design. I initially started out to make a wood version of the Stanley Odd Job. I even bought a chunk of wood, a steel ruler and the hardware for it. But as I got closer to actually making sawdust, I realized more and more that it would be more of a novelty and less of a tool that would actually be used in someone’s shop.
I still had the idea of a layout tool that could perform multiple functions in my head though. So, long story short… this is the result.
The main beam is a 24” section of T-track set into a Walnut and Oak lamination. Then, I made a fence based off the shape of a t-square head. The fence is Jatoba and Walnut with a brass wear strip. The fence serves double-duty for the panel gauge and the story stick. I installed a HDPE key in a dado in the fence to ride in the t-track to keep it square. The fence knob is turned from a piece of Cocobolo.
Next, I made the story stick tabs. They’re just simple pieces of Jatoba with the front angled to a point and a V-notch filed in for a pencil. The thumb nuts were made with brass knurled nuts and Purpleheart. I drilled a bore the same size as the brass nut into the wood and epoxied thin pieces onto the top of the nuts. Then I turned them to diameter on the lathe. Finally I used my small laser engraver to personalize them for Ripthorn.
Next was the panel gauge attachment. I made the attachment so it hugs the end of the main beam and locates firmly. I had a point from a drafting set that uses a collet to hold either a 2mm steel point or 2mm lead. I drilled a hole at an angle for the drafting point so it would be trailing the tool and used a small brass thumb screw to fix it in place. The attachment is Jatoba and Purpleheart with maple dowels. If the tool never sees duty using any of the other attachments, I think it functions very well as a panel gauge and a beam compass.
Which brings me to the next attachments. The trammel points are made of laminated Jatoba and Purpleheart. One has a fixed steel point and the other uses the same drafting pointer used in the panel gauge attachment. I drilled and tapped the tops and used epoxy and threaded rod to attach the brass pieces on the top because I just thought they looked nice :-)
The final attachments were a last minute brainstorm. They are caliper heads that can be used to measure the width of a board and then the opposite side can be used to set a fence or transfer a measurement to another piece. Unfortunately, they have a little too much play to be precise but I think the proof-of-concept is there and functional pieces could easily be made if desired.
Thanks for looking. Comments and questions are always welcome!
-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!