|Project by dannorocks||posted 02-12-2017 06:09 PM||1132 views||2 times favorited||14 comments|
Built using plans sourced from stumpynubs.com – made the lay out quite easy. I did not make square dog holes and did only 3/4” holes as I already had a few veritas dogs, and also had done a few things differently by mistake yet somehow it came off well in the end. Yes, it was a painstakingly process as I didn’t have a solid work top to build on other than my saw benches. But it was worth it. Total cost is about $275 including hardware, glue, and yellow pine construction lumber.
First, at the time I didn’t have a bench but a few foldning saw horses, so prior to the bench I had made a pair of sturdy saw benches.
Then I purchased about 24 2”x6” construction lumber, all 8’ long- yellow pine. At the time I went to the local big box store and found the straitest boards and took three different stores to finally source enough build with. I then let it dry out for approximately 3 months. Then I jointed the edges and planed the lumber down to make it not look so much like construction lumber. Glad I bought more than I needed to build as several winded on me and did not end up being part of the bench.
Then I laid out the boards, sort of following the plans from the aforementioned source. Glued each half together because thats all the clamps I have and I let it set overnight.
While one half was glued and setting I ran the opposite half through the planer. I suggest asking for help to do this, don’t do this alone like I did. I nearly hit the reset button on my back again.
Ok then I glued the legs up, squared them up and got all excited with the chisels and mortised and tenoned the skirts. This is where I realized I made one heck of a mortise yet in the wrong places. So I removed the difference and ended up building ‘feet’ out of scraps to fix my errors.
The legs sat proud of the top and I trimmed them down with a panel saw and one of those flush cutting saws. I suggest just a panel saw as the flush cutting saw has too many teeth for the job.
And some action shots of some jointing and gang chopping waste!
And here’s a shot of the lovely York quick release vice I used for a tail vice. I think its a great product for the price.
Hope you all enjoy and feel free to comment. This won’t be the last bench I build; but its definitely improved my joinery skills and I’m forever grateful for other lumberjocks that had built beefy benches that inspired me to do mine.