|Project by JaimeFoxWood||posted 02-12-2017 12:26 PM||494 views||2 times favorited||3 comments|
My wife’s been pestering me about the clutter of tools in the attic for ages, and as you can see in the images, she does have a point…
So I made this toolrack from cheap pine planks to store my chisels and saws in. It’s a first in many projects that are intened to get the tools off the ground and into a proper storage.
After dimensioning all the wood I started of with shaping the side rails. Never made a curved arch shape in wood before and it posed a challenge. Wood by Wright’s youtube video really helped my out there. I need to get myself a round bottom spokeshave though, my flat bottom one got stuck traversing the curve.
I then made two stopped dado’s in the top for the side. They fit like a glove, but did need some screws for extra strenght.
Next step, adding the back. This was done by cutting out some simple bridal(?) joints. This part of the process could’ve done with some “measure twice, cut once”. Ended up with like two mm wiggle room in the joints. Not my best moment. Luckily, most pressure will by downwards, so it should still be solid once it’s up against the wall.
Added the pegboard after that and made another mistake. My drill bit was the exact same size as the beech dowels I wanted to use. So the pegs fit very losely… Ended up buying pegs one size bigger, then chamfering them all around and hammering them in place.
Then made two french cleats. Tried to rip them in 45 degrees, that didn’t work out. So I ended up ripping another board in two and then planed them to 45 degrees each.
After that all that I had to do was fasten the cleats to the wall and rack and I was good to go!
- In the future I might add a botton shelf for extra storage.
Next I intend make a clamp rack and some simple shelves or dresser chest type arrangement.
As a new woodworker interested in handtools I learned a lot of things making it. It’s far from perfect with more than enough tearout, dents and dings, not so quite square joinery and some unintended use of screws to keep it together. Having said that, I’m still very proud of it. Everything except drilling the holes in the concrete wall was done by hand.
Still needs a coating of BLO but couldn’t wait to post it.