|Project by CarlR||posted 03-23-2010 12:45 AM||4522 views||58 times favorited||27 comments|
A few weeks ago a drum sander was posted built from a Stockroom kit. I was intrigued as to how well it would work.
I went to the Stockroom website and watched their demo video and thought about ordering one.
Then I thought what the heck I’m retired with lots of available shop time so I went to our local hardware and $51.00 later had all the parts I would need to construct one of my own.
I used 3” pvc pipe for the drum, turned 3 donuts and bored 5/8ths holes in them for the shaft.
Scrap wood was used for the box and powered by an old 1/3rd hp motor that was laying around.
As you can see in the second photo I used gorilla duct tape to shim the top to the perfect height. It was real close so only had to use 2 layers on one side and one on the other.
I had a roll of 4” 180 grit paper ( from my body shop days ) and cut the ends to roll on the drum.
I then used a small dab of contact cement to fasten the paper on each end. Waited about five minutes for the cement to set and fired it up. It works!
Takes off about 1/64”, but it’s just what I was hoping for.
Now I’m going to research the proper paper and application technique.
-- Carl R Mesaros