|Project by dc135custom||posted 02-06-2017 03:55 PM||746 views||3 times favorited||6 comments|
A little over a year ago I posted a picture of the wine barrel coffee table I built. At that time I said that I was planning on making two end tables with another wine barrel I had. Well it finally happened but it took a little more work than I planned. Originally I thought all I needed to do was cut the barrel in such a way that I would get two tables from one barrel and that was true and it worked great. What I didn’t count on was that they were going to look obnoxiously large in diameter. So what I ended up doing was disassembling the two tables cutting the top down to a smaller diameter and reassembling the tables. Wine barrel tops are chamfered around the edge and that fits into a groove in the staves. So after I cut the top down I had to chamfer the edge and add a tongue to fit into the staves. I then pin nailed the staves back onto the top, which required resizing some of the staves to make them fit, so I could cut, resize, and weld the bands to the new diameter. I then made a shelf out of red oak for each table. a lot more work than I planned but worth it.
-- Rick...You can never have too many tools or wood to use them on!...Reno, Nv.