|Project by Smiley||posted 1596 days ago||2024 views||7 times favorited||15 comments|
Here is a table top I have been working on for the last couple months. (in all honesty I only have a weekend or two in time on it but the resin coat I put on needs to be applied at a certain temperature and it has only been recently that it was warm enough outside for me to do this as my shop is not climate controlled) I think it turned out Ok and could be better but I learned allot doing it and that is what was most important to me as a budding wood worker. This was made for a lady Who recently took down a cedar tree on her property and told me I could have the wood If I made her a new top for her patio table. The old one was glass and a rock found it’s way through it. I think she would have been happy with a round piece of plywood but I got this idea in my head and This was the excuse I needed to make it happen. I started with a rough design on the computer (pic1) then I cut the base out of 1/2”OSB. Next I took one of the thinner logs she gave me and sliced it like Bologna on the Band saw about 1/4”-1/2” slices then I laid those out and glued them down. next I took some pea stone from the local garden store (bought a good size bag for less than $5.00 and only used a quarter of it if not less) and spread the stone out into the voids between the Cedar Slices. I then gave it a good heavy coat of Spray Poly to stick the stone in place. I then put on a masonite rim to hold in the top coat and held my breath as I poured on this resin casting stuff used to coat bar tops and make paper weights. the bad news is after the first pour I found my work table was not quite level as the resin pooled to one side so I just spun the whole thing around and poured the second layer and it pooled even. Then it came time to flatten out the bumps and odd little rocks that stood to high. The good news is after a test I found scuffing the surface left a white haze but another layer of Resin and it all went crystal clear again. finally after all the Resin was cured I had to cut off the Masonite Band and sand the edges smooth. Finally I sprayed some High Gloss Poly on the edge for a couple coats to finish it of and that is the step I am at now. next is delivery.
-- No matter how good or bad a day your having a smile always makes it better!