|Project by jeffthewoodwacker||posted 03-16-2010 01:52 AM||1346 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
I had a large piece of sassafras that had been sitting in someone’s barn for several years. This piece was perfect for a large platter, but it had a crack that went all the way across the blank. I cut the piece across at the bandsaw on both sides of the crack and glued in a strip of purpleheart that I had left over from another project. The piece was then turned, beads turned on the front and back of the platter and chatter work done on the front and back of the platter. This piece is a little over 16 inches in diameter. I used Deft high gloss spray lacquer as the finish, let that dry for 3 days and then rubbed the piece out with auto body polish followed by buffing on the Beall wheel.
-- Those that say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.