|Project by Bradford||posted 03-15-2010 08:15 AM||5331 views||3 times favorited||13 comments|
I bought a Powermatic 66 at an online auction web site. I paid $350 plus $135 processing. After rental of a truck I drove 158 miles to York PA to pick up the saw. Upon my arrival back, I set up the mobile base, slid the saw onto the lift and moved it into the shop. My friend, Camron & I pulled the old 5HP 3PH Motor, pulled the worm gears, blade, wheels and everything else. I sanded away all the old paint, and repainted it with the closest color I could find. It had a hammered look when dry. A new 3HP 1PH motor from Powermatic was installed and wired into the magnetic switch and mounted to the plate. More cleaning was needed to the inside. The blade had to be cleaned with Bit&blade cleaner. After much cleaning, everything was re-installed, the top was mounted and squared to the blade. We spent a lot of time waiting for a simple 3 prong dryer plug to be delivered. A long drop cord was made and plugs were mounted. We left a 3 foot pigtail from the magnetic switch. I mounted the rails and fence. The Incra 1000SE was installed and calibrated. A test cut showed 90 degree square. A zero clearance insert and a custom push stick were made on the router and scroll saw. Sand paper was mounted to aid the grip on boards. The table is now set for the next project. This restore would have taken a lot longer if it hadn’t have been for my friend and fellow woodworker, Camron. He’s immense knowledge and experience helped beyond the call. Also the people at Powermatic for help ordering (still in stock ) parts for a 33 year old machine.
-- so much wood, so little time. Bradford. Wood-a-holics unanimous president