|Project by Sawdustonmyshoulder||posted 03-15-2010 02:38 AM||18197 views||70 times favorited||15 comments|
This is the Loose Tenon Mortising Jig I posted earlier. I did test it and made a few improvements.
The major improvement was the addition of a “rabbeted” piece in the back of the jig (see the second photo) to keep the plastic sled from tipping forward during the cut. I made the rabbet shallow and put a small champfer on the hardwood runner so that I can easily remove the sled between cuts.
Another improvement was to rework the stops by using excess toilet flange bolts that I cut off to about 1 inch long and tighten the stops with brass knobs. These work better than the thumb screws.
I also made a couple of more wooden stops so that I could hold the “clamping rail” up while I made the cuts on the end of pieces.
Making loose tenon joint and lots of them is so easy with this jig. The third photo is some of the mortises I made this week. Cut 144 mortises in about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Lots of sawdust to clean up. Great fun!
I guess my next step is to make a set of plans.
I also spent a little time in front of the video camera and made a short video showing the use of this jig. See the video.
-- The more skilled you are at something, the worse you are at it when someone is watching.