|Project by Alongiron||posted 01-16-2017 01:28 PM||1212 views||8 times favorited||7 comments|
I had posted last week my Buffalo plant stand made from Knotty Alder. Thank you for all the great comments! The homeowner really liked it…as did my wife. She asked me to make her a “Herd” of them made from QSWO each standing 8” smaller than the other. Having access to a large printer it was easy for myself to make a 25% reduction from the original and than 25% reduction in the smaller one. This gave me the 3 templates that I needed. The 3 round tops are 16”, 15”, and 14.5” respectfully. They are finished with dark walnut danish oil and 2 coats of clear shellac. I added 2 coats of wipe on poly to the top for better protection.
Some of you asked on the other plant stand how I attached the top. So here it is:
The first thing is to drill 5 holes 5/16”. The one in the middle should be as “dead center” as you can get it. the other 4 on the perimeter are about an inch or so in from the ends. I drilled these holes about 3/4” deep. Drop in 5/16” center points in the outside and a 5/16” dowel on the center one.
I dipped the dowel in a bit of water and placed it in the center hole I used to turn the top round. Once I located the dowel in the center hole in the base, I just gave it a good love tap to locate the dowel center points on the bottom of the top.
I used a stop on my drill bit to drill 3/8” holes.
I glued in my dowels to the top first, applied some glue to the holes in the base. Flipped it over to let the weight of the base secure it in place until the glue dried….perfectly centered top everytime!
-- Measure twice and cut once.....sneak up on it! Steve Lien