|Project by Tim Dorcas||posted 03-10-2010 07:16 AM||1968 views||1 time favorited||15 comments|
I moved last September and spent the first two months building the shop. This included putting up drywall, installing a pellet stove for heat, and running electricity. Once the shop was in good enough shape I decided to build some nightstands for the bedroom. While I spend most of my time turning these days, I thought the overall design is fairly simple so a few weekends in the shop and I’d be good to go. That was four months ago! I started with a basic design in Sketchup with proportions that I thought would be good for my bedroom. In practice they a slightly larger than what the space demands and in doing it again I would have done a quick mockup or at least a life size drawing to make sure everything fit a bit better.
Last year I bought a Festool Domino and thought this would be a perfect job for this tool. After doing the joints for the first nightstand I instead switched to my Dowelmax jig. For me, the Dowelmax ended up being faster and more accurate. Clearly I need to work with the Domino a bit more.
The legs are made of Alder. The top is Western Maple. And the Drawer front is Lacewood. The insides are mostly poplar and scrap maple. While I used a custom tapering jig for the legs, I think the next time I might do the tapers on the bandsaw. I think this would give me a bit more control.
The dovetails are mixture of the Akeda jig and some hand tool work. This is not the fault of the jig but more around the angles I wanted to use as well as the thickness of the sides.
The stain is two coats of Minwax Ebony stain and Black India Ink (thanks Charles Neil for that one!). This is finished with two coats of poly.
Overall, I’m pretty happy.
The feel I was going for was the simplicity of Shaker design mixed with a bit of Asian flavor.
-- www.craftedbytim.com - A Woodworking & Renovation Blog & www.craftedbytim.com - I make. You buy.