|Project by warrenkicker||posted 03-05-2010 06:50 PM||1160 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
This was in 2006 and I decided that for my parent’s anniversary that year we would do something a little different. Just prior to that a house a half of a mile down the road was going to be torn down. We asked if we could salvage things from it as it was a family friend and they said yes. We stripped the house of all the trim, front door glass and about 1000 square feet of maple flooring. The house was built by the first owner and his dad in 1919. My mom then talked about putting some of that flooring in an unheated, concrete floor utility room in their house. We quickly talked her out of that. But we decided that she would still like some of this floor in their house. Mom and dad decided to take a long trip for their anniversary and with clearance from him we began to make a plan to replace their entryway floor.
The material was not in the greatest-looking condition but much of it had never been refinished. We “built” the floor in my garage and sanded it there. Then I built a register out of that wood using a metal-cutting mill that I had access to. You have a lot more control with that type of tool than compared to a router.
Then when they were on their trip we broke in and tore out their old vinyl tile flooring and replaced it with this maple floor. Then we put three or so coats of poly on it once it was in place. They came back to a quite different room.
That old maple looks great and the grain is amazing. It is just too bad you are usually standing up looking at it because it is a lot better looking up close.