|Project by Will Stokes||posted 03-05-2010 07:34 AM||6882 views||25 times favorited||17 comments|
This is my recently completed dust collection setup. I used to lug around an old shop-vac my neighbor gave me, but it really wasn’t cutting it and banging out the filter constantly was a real pain. I decided to go with the Delta 50-760 and ordered it from tools-plus.com since they offer $6.50 flat shipping on all orders where as shipping was like $50 plus anywhere else.
After picking up a copy of “Dust Collection Basics” from Woodcraft, I designed and redesigned and redesigned how I would setup my shop and run the trunk and drops so as to minimize the total static pressure drop for any run to any machine. For example, you’ll notice in the run to the planer I avoid an extra bend by dropping down from the ceiling at an angle. Since I don’t have any ay to place the dust collector proper in a different room, I opted to place it along the center of one wall, thus reducing the distance to the two biggest dust contributors in my shop, the planer and table saw.
I opted to use 4” schedule 30 PVC which worked out OK. If I were to do it again I might use schedule 40 since the fittings are a lot tighter and thus easier to glue and get air tight, but with a little work I made the schedule 30 work and I did get to save a little on the fittings and pipe. I decided to only ground the exterior of the system, but I was pretty strenuous about that and all the machines and dust collector are all grounded to each other.
Since the 50-760 is a single stage collector, I opted to build a Thien pre-stage using an old metal garbage can and some melamine from an old junky dresser I took apart instead of throwing in the dumpster, so the pre-stage was basically free and it works great once the baffle was added on.
You’ll notice I have a few unused branches around the setup. I eventually intend to add above the table dust collection to my table saw. I’d like to also add below the table dust collection to my router table. I have a port ready to add a floor sweep and dust collection for a future lathe. Finally, the dust collection from the miter saw is woefully inadequate. I intend to eventually build a cage behind to grab all the dust is throws back and to the sides.
All in all, I’m very happy I finally did this. It wasn’t cheap, but the shop is definitely much cleaner, and emptying the pre-stage is a LOT easier than dealing with the old shop vac. I literally have no chips coming out the planer any more, a huge step up.