|Project by Chris Wright||posted 1473 days ago||1234 views||2 times favorited||5 comments|
These were a lot of fun. I’ve been wanting a new carving mallet for a while now and when I got my last shipment of lumber I finally had my chance to make one. The delivery driver used a length of 6/4 quater sawn white oak to stack the lumber on when he was unloading it. Now, it wasn’t in the best shape (it had a few splits and some deep gouges) but it wasn’t all that bad. I planed it down and glued two pieces that were about 4 and a half inchs long together to make the head of the carvers mallet, mounted it on the lathe and went to town. I drilled a 3/4 inch hole in the base and made a handle out of a squared off piece of the same oak and glued it into the head. To help keep it from splintering I ended up soaking the head with thin CA glue and sanded it after it dried then decided to dress it up a little with the burn lines.
The carpenters mallet I decided to do on a whim. Using more of the same piece of oak I glued two 4 inch piece together with a thin strip of Bubinga in between them. After the glue dried I turned it down to a diameter of about 2 inchs and drilled the hole to attach the handle. The handle was a bit of an experiment because I decided to try some off center turning to make the handle oval. After rounding it off, I offset the grip side by 3/16 of an inch, turned one side, then off set it again to the other side then centered it back up to sand. I finished it in wipe on poly and attached a leather pad with contact cement to each side of the head to keep from maring the surface I stirke.
-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken