|Project by mlk1005||posted 12-31-2016 12:50 PM||424 views||2 times favorited||18 comments|
I came across some segmented bowl videos on YouTube and decided to give it a try. This bowl is about 10” across and 3” tall. Woods used were all scraps from the shop and included hard maple, mahogany, and holly. To illustrate just how much I hate to throw anything away, the hard maple was pieces of a butcher block that de-laminated, the holly came from the stumps of some large bushes we took out years ago, and the mahogany was an old tabletop I picked up on trash day. All were leftovers from the initial projects that I made with the majority of each find.
I cut the segments on my chopsaw and got surprisingly close just using the preset indents. I then trimmed four of the segments to fit tight with a lion miter trimmer. It was much easier than I anticipated, sometimes you just have to get in there and try it i guess.
Glue up was with large hose clamps and worked very well. after assembling the rings with hose clamps I placed them between two old pieces of countertop and placed some weight on top to keep them flat while they dried.
Stacking the rings for the blank was a by eye affair and left me with a blank that wasn’t completely concentric but the errors don’t seem to be evident in the finished piece.
Finish is four coats of shellac applied on the lathe with a cloth and multiple coats of paste wax also applied on the lathe.
I’ll be exploring this method more completely for sure!
-- Mark, St Louis, MO