|Project by DoctorDan||posted 02-28-2010 11:30 PM||2831 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
Timber: River Red Gum, Northern Silver Ash
Finish: Ubeaut 1lb shellac, Organoil Hardburnishing Oill, Ubeaut Natural Wax
Glue: Titebond II
This is a remake of my radiaita table that I made 2 years prior. This table features; a smaller overall size (63cm/25” square), contrasting splines (originally long grain to long grain), a tripod base, and a an improved finish.
The change in direction is made by taking a long strip making two 45 degree parallel cuts and flipping the middle section. I did this so that the grain would follow from centre to outside. A more common way would be to glue a number of strips together, can cut them all together, but you lose the continuity.
I like to make projects that incorporate innovative or new (to me) techniques. The angles of 45 in the base are meant to be consistent with the top. The base on this is an example of this. It’s made with interlocking parts re-enforced with dowel. I would be interested in peoples comments on this. I’m not convinced it’s successful and have been tempted to replace it with a simple apron and straight legs.
I am much happier with the finish of this piece. Hand applied shellac, oil, wet sanded, and waxed. Some defects (eg. knots) were repaired with epoxy and show polish.
-- Daniel - http://theloveofwood.blogspot.com/