|Project by ackychris||posted 02-25-2010 08:16 AM||4028 views||7 times favorited||15 comments|
I built this as a Christmas present for my brother—I’m only about two months behind schedule on it, and pretty proud of it. It’s basically my first completed project. It’s from a very straight-grained sipo board I had laying around, finished with a little Danish oil rubbed in, and a lacquer topcoat. The legs and body/neck rests are all joined to the column with handcut and chiseled mortise-and-tenons (my first attempt at mortise and tenon joinery!), and I doweled through the leg joints to give my too-loose tenons a little extra strength. I designed it with an electric guitar in mind, though I wish I’d made it a bit bigger so it could work with my brother’s acoustic if he wanted. I cut the parts out on my Ridgid 14” bandsaw, laying it out to minimize weak short-grain. I spokeshaved the parts into the profiles I had in mind, and did the joinery last. All in all, I’m super-proud of this project, and more than a little relieved that it does, in fact, take the weight of a heavy electric guitar without shattering. I still have to get around to rubbing out the lacquer, and it might need one more coat—I’m still getting the hang of brushing lacquer.
Okay, I just added a couple more pictures. I got around to rubbing out the lacquer today, and it looks waay better. Hard to tell in these pics, ‘cause my photography is not great and I’m too tired to try to get a great pic, but it really looks nice now. If I get around to it, I’ll try to take a better pic, but I probably won’t—I’d rather start a new project. Sometime I’ll learn how best to photograph my projects, but not this weekend—I got a fever, and the only prescription is more wood-shavings.
-- I hate finishing. I never manage to quit while I'm ahead. --Chris