|Project by LeeG||posted 02-25-2010 06:54 AM||6354 views||2 times favorited||5 comments|
This was my first ‘official’ project for our house. My wife wanted some shelves for the living room and picked these out of a back issue of Wood Magazine
Well, the crown molding they had at my local HD wasn’t the same size as was used, so after burning through most of an 8’ piece, I decided to quit trying to follow the detail of the plans and follow the spirit of them. Both shelves are 7” deep. One is 38” and the other is 18”.
I ripped the top piece out of a 1×10 poplar board. I then ran 3 sides of the top pieces through the router table with a Roman Ogee profile bit. I then cut the crown molding with a 45 degree bevel with the proper length to fit below the profile I had just cut. I glued this front piece on, and after it set, I added the side pieces, gluing them in place as well. Once these were in, I cut the bottom piece to length, and ran it through the router table with the same bit, this time set 1/8” lower so as to not produce the flat lip.
I cut a piece for the back to the same length as the bottom, and with the proper height to give the spacing I wanted. I routed a long groove through the back piece, and then used a keyhole bit in the router table to add vertical slots for mounting. I glued the back to the top, then to base to the back and the bottoms of the crown molding.
I finished with a coat of spray primer, then 2 or 3 coats of a flat black paint. Once I decided to stop trying to match the dimensions in the plan, I was able to build both shelves in about 5 hours.
-- Lee in Phoenix