|Project by dvhart||posted 02-23-2010 07:04 AM||5897 views||4 times favorited||11 comments|
A friend at work was unhappy with the tack trunks she could buy online. They were expensive and those she had seen weren’t holding up to the abuse horse, rider, and the elements doled out. I ordered a plan online (and used the basic dimensions – nothing more) and built this. I replaced commonly used hardware like the piano hinge with much more durable versions. Instead of simple plywood butt joints which have been a common point of failure, I made biscuited corner blocks. If I were to do it again, I might try a dado and rabbet instead of the biscuits. She really likes the size, but the marine grade mahogany plywood turned out to be far heavier than we expected. In retrospect, perhaps birch plywood would have been sufficient.