|Project by big_wood||posted 02-21-2010 04:06 AM||5204 views||12 times favorited||12 comments|
This is my version of the dust shroud for my mitre saw. After seeing similiar ideas and comments from others on how it has drastically improved their dust collection, I made one a few years back with cardboard. After a few months I would keep replacing it as it would fall apart. Today, while watching the Olympics (BTW – it should be an awesome game tomorrow afternoon – mens hockey, Canada vs. USA), I figured I’d improve it based on what I’ve learned and at the same time make it more durable.
On a side note, since it is common knowledge that the dust collection on mitre saws suck why can’t the manufactures add some kind of optional attachment? Festool did it but not willing to pay double or triple to price. Anyways, enough ranting…
Picked up coffee, supplies for the project and walked the dog all in one shot. I didn’t need to go to LV or HD, actually the only thing I needed was some stir sticks from Starbucks. I also used some left over vinyl fabric & a thin scrap metal plate. PIC#2
Took the blade off, cut up the vinyl and made a few alterations until I was satisfied and copied the same shape to make 2. I glued the stir sticks and metal plate, then sandwiched it with the other piece of vinyl. Hot glue would have been ideal but I only had some automotive GOOP. Oh yeah it also helps if you put a rag on both sides then clamp it between 2 pieces of plywood to produce even pressure in the voids. Duct taped it to the machine, bent the thing forward to help direct the dust up, then VOILA~!
Test cut – barely any of the dust got past my Macgyvered dust shroud. All in all, all those hours in the 80s watching the show didn’t go to waste. (some chewing gum, duct tape, metal foil = save the world) Have a great weekend folks. :)