|Project by spamfilterman||posted 02-20-2010 08:15 PM||2026 views||5 times favorited||11 comments|
This was my first real project. It was completely back in Nov 09.
There are a number of things I would do differently next time.
At the time, I didn’t have a planer… so every piece of wood was a different thickness :-)
That was fun to work with. Also, since I didn’t have a jointer, I didn’t feel ready to do a glue-up top or shelf, so they’re edge-banded plywood. There is one place I majorly screwed up – I accidentally bought a sheet of red oak plywood when everything else was white ok. Whoops. I stained the whole thing to try to bring the colors close. Also, I left the plywood leaning against the garage wall for too long… by the time I was ready to cut it up it had warped. That was a pain to deal with.
The finish is two coats of Minwax golden oak stain, followed by three coats of Arm-r-Seal.
As a first project, I thought it was overall a success. It hasn’t fallen apart yet. Now trying to design the next big project.