|Project by jcwalleye||posted 1392 days ago||2085 views||12 times favorited||13 comments|
I built this tackle cart for a fishing buddy after he complained some about his wife and kid moving his fishing gear around and not putting it where he could find it when he needed it. We talked a little bit about what features to include and then found a plan for a tool chest in ShopNotes that came pretty close.
I am trying to build up some skills and learn from my mistakes of which this project had plenty. The first was the biggest and that was trying to make the cabinet out of cheap plywood from HD. It looked great in the bunk at the store but I should have known better when the banding was cut. After getting home I cut and dadoed the cabinet parts and set them aside for a couple weeks to work on something else. When I got back to it they had curled pretty bad. It took a long time to force it with clamps for a dry fit and I figured I’d never get it glued properly so I screwed it. It’s for the garage anyway.
The poplar drawers turned out pretty good, but the cabinet in the middle was bowed out about 3/16”. I shimmed the drawer slides to make them work properly but couldn’t get consistent gaps on the drawer faces. He won’t mind though and it should do the job fairly well. Two of the drawers have dividers and it was finished with several coats of water based poly. It’s on casters to roll around out of the way.
The rod in the winding rack is one I built to be auctioned off at a fund raiser.
-- Trees, a wonderful gift --Joe--